Motorbike plugs are designed to reduce engine and road noise. They are available in a solid plug giving maximum noise reduction or in a musician style plug with a filter for different amounts of noise reduction. They are comfortable to wear and won’t interfere with your helmet.
What is H. P. Devices ?
Where engineering and administrative controls are not successful in lowering noise exposure, hearing protection devices must be used. OSHA requires that employees be offered a variety of hearing protection devices, including ear muffs and ear plugs. If you suspect that you may be over exposed to noise contact the Environmental Health & Safety Office at 515-6862. Noise exposure may be continuous, intermittent or impulsive (less than one second in duration with a delay of more than one second).
Types of Hearing Protectors
There is a wide variety of types of hearing protectors available, including ear muffs, foam and preformed ear plugs, and canal caps. Selection is based upon several factors, as described below.
- Ear Muffs These devices fit against the head and enclose the entire external ears. The inside of the muff cup is lined with an acoustic foam which can reduce noise by as much as 15 to 30 decibels. Ear muffs are often used in conjunction with ear plugs to protect the employee from extremely load noises, usually at or above 105 decibels.
- Ear Plugs Preformed ear plugs come in different sizes to fit different sizes of ear canals. Formable or foam ear plugs, if placed in the ear correctly, will expand to fill the ear canal and seal against the walls. This allows foam ear plugs to fit ear canals of different sizes.
- Canal Caps As the name implies, these devices cap off the ear canal at its opening. They generally provide less protection than ear muffs or plugs. These devices are not recommended for use by the EHSC.
Choosing a Hearing Protector
Choosing the right hearing protector depends upon several factors:
- Good seal: sound reduction is dependant upon blocking any air leakage which will allow sound to bypass the hearing protector and enter the ear. For this reason, the hearing protector must fit properly whether over the ear or in the ear.
- Comfort: Both comfort and convenience are important if the device is to be used consistently. The ease of placing and removing the device, as well as environmental factors such as the presence of dirt or chemicals must be considered.
- Communication: Hearing protectors often make communication difficult by reducing and distorting sounds. Employees who are hearing-impaired who must receive detailed face to face instruction may prefer ear muffs so that they can lift up the muffs to hear speech.
Correctly Fitting the Device
- Ear Plugs: Refer to the diagram for correct insertion of ear plugs. Remember to use the opposite hand to open the ear canal. This is done by grasping the top of the ear and gently pulling upwards. The plug, having been compressed, is placed into the ear canal and held in place for about 10 seconds to allow for expansion of the ear plug.
- Ear Muffs: The ear muff cushion must form a seal against the head all around the ear and not rest against any part of the outer ear.
Maintaining a Hearing Protector
Ear plugs must be replaced on a daily basis or whenever they become soiled. Using an unclean ear plug may lead to an ear infection. Employees should be issued their own ear muffs, however, if ear muffs are used by more than one employee, the ear muffs should be cleaned frequently. Ear muffs should be wiped off with soap and water. Ear muffs should be inspected regularly for signs of wear and tear, and should defects appear, the device should be replaced.
Customised ear plugs : Uses & Styles
Custom ear plugs are one of the Best Ways to protect our ears against damage due to noise exposure and water entry. These Ear Plugs are hypoallergenic, so can be used by people with sensitive skin and are available in Bright Colors for children or in discreet tones for adults.
Custom Ear Plugs are made from the shape of your ear, so Only You can wear them. They provide the Best Comfort and the Best Protection against Noise Damage and Water Entry. If looked after properly, they can Last for Years and are ideal for anyone who is Exposed to Noise such as Factory workers, Musicians, Motorbike Riders, or for those whose have sleeping difficulties. For children with grommets or those who can’t get water into the ear canal, swim plugs are an excellent choice for protection against water entry. Communication plugs can be used by security guards, police & musicians to provide comfort and clarity when using communication devices.
Sleep Plug ( Canal size )
These plugs are the smallest of the plug types as they sit in the ear and in the ear canal. They are designed to give protection against noise, reducing sound by up to 25 dB. They are best suited for people who wish for a Sound Sleep without any
hindrance of snoring of their partner. It is best suited for Frequent Travelers.
Dry Ear Plug
These plugs are also small plug which properly sit in the ear and in the ear canal. They are designed to give protection against water, They are best suited for people who are required to keep their Ears dry due to medical needs.
Solid Noise Plugs
These plugs are the largest of the plug types as they sit in the ear and in the ear canal. They are designed to give maximum protection against noise, reducing sound by up to 40dB. They are best suited for industrial workers or people who are exposed to loud sounds. They are also suitable for use with motorized gardening equipment and most power tools.
Hearing Protection Device with Filter
These plugs can be in TWO SIZES so as to sit in the ear and in the ear canal. They are designed to give maximum protection against noise, reducing sound by up to 15 dB. In Small size and till 22 dB in larger size. They are best suited for industrial workers or people who are exposed to loud sounds.
Hearing Protection Device with ER filter
These plugs are the best of the plug types as they sit in the ear and in the ear canal. They are designed to give maximum protection against noise, reducing sound by up to 25 dB. They are best suited for musicians and people who are exposed to different level of sounds.
These plugs are the best form of Protective Device which may be used for Swimmers of all age groups. As they are Customised, and are made for an individual person, the chances of water penetrating in the ear is minimised, hence providing safety while swimming. These are made of floatable material, hence shall not drown, if taken out even while swimming.
Advantages of Custom Made Swim Plugs
To prevent water from entering the ear canal, an Airtight Seal is required between the ear plug and the ear canal. A Good Fit is essential to ensure that water does not leak into the canal.
As custom swim plugs are made from the shape of your ears, a secure fit is ensured, providing the most effective protection against water entry.